Tests for pudendal neuralgia

Your GP will ask about your symptoms and may carry out an examination of the area to check for any obvious causes of your pain.

If they think you could have pudendal neuralgia, or they're not sure what's causing your pain, theymay refer you to a specialist for further tests.

These tests may include:

  • a vaginal or rectal exam to see if the pain occurs when your doctor applies pressure to the pudendal nerve with their finger
  • a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan to check for problems such as entrapment (compression) of the pudendal nerve and rule out other possible causes of your pain
  • nerve studies a small device inserted into your rectum is used to stimulate nearby nerves with mild electrical impulses to check how well the nerves are working
  • nerve block injections painkilling medication is injectedaround the pudendal nerve to see if your pain improves
Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018