When to get medical advice

It's a good idea to see your GP or practice nurse or visit your nearest genito-urinary medicine (GUM) clinic or sexual health clinic if you're worried about a change in your vaginal discharge.

It's unlikely to be caused by anything serious, but some tests and treatment may be recommended.

Your doctor or nursemay:

  • ask about your symptoms and sexual history such aswhether you're sexually active, you've have had a recent change in sexual partner,oruse contraception
  • ask to carry out an examination of your vagina
  • take swabs of discharge from your vagina using a device similar to a cotton bud so the samples can be checked for infection
  • take a sample of blood so it can be tested for other sexually transmitted infections

Treatment will depend on what's causing your symptoms, but often involves a short course of medication.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018