Diagnosing the cause

Your GP should refer you to hospital for further tests. This will help to identify the cause of your problem, to exclude cancer and plan necessary treatment. Some areas have specialistpostmenopausal bleeding clinics.

The tests that may be carried out can include:

  • a vaginal ultrasound scan
  • a pelvic examination
  • tests on a sample of your womb lining (endometrial biopsy )
  • a camera test called a hysteroscopy

These procedures are described below.Some GPs are able to carry out the ultrasound and examination themselves, and will refer you for the hysteroscopy if this is necessary.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018