Where to get medical help

Get medical help as soon as possible if you have the symptoms above. They could be caused by a herpes simplex infection or another eye condition that requires rapid treatment.

If it's not treated, there's a chance your vision could be affected.

You can get help and advice from:

  • your GP or NHS 111 they can advise you about services in your area and refer you to an eye specialist (optometrist or ophthalmologist)
  • your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department
  • your nearest specialist eye A&E department

If you wear contact lenses, take them out and don't use them again until you'vefully recovered.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018