When to see your GP

See your GPif you experience an episode of jaundice for the first time.

The jaundice of Gilbert's syndrome is usually mild, but jaundice can be associated with more serious liver problems, such as cirrhosis or hepatitis C .

It's therefore important to seek immediate medical advice fromyour GP if you have jaundice. If you can't get in touch with your GP, contact NHS 111 oryour local out-of-hours service for advice.

If you've been diagnosed with Gilberts syndrome (see below), you don't usually need to seek medical advice during an episode of jaundice, unless you have additional or unusual symptoms.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018