When to get medical advice

Try to avoid going to your GP because if your vomiting is caused by an infection it can spread to others very easily.

Ifyou're feeling very unwell or are worried about your vomiting, call your GP or NHS 111 .

You should also get medical advice if:

  • you've been vomitingrepeatedly for more than48 hours and it's not improving
  • you're unable to keep down any fluids
  • youhave signs of severe dehydration such asdizziness and passing little or no urine
  • your vomit is green (this could mean you're bringing up bile, which suggests you may have a blockage in your bowel see below)
  • you've lost a lot of weight since you became ill
  • you experience episodes of vomiting frequently
Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018