When to see a doctor

See your GP if your pain hasn't started to improve within a few weeks. They can prescribe stronger painkillers if necessary and refer you to hospital if they feel you need further treatment.

Seek medical helpimmediately if you develop any signs of a more serious problem, such as:

  • increasing shortness of breath
  • increasing chest pain
  • pain in your tummyor shoulder
  • coughing up blood
  • coughing up yellow or greenmucus
  • a high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or above

The above symptoms may indicate a chest infection or may mean a broken rib has damaged your lung, causing the lung to collapse (pneumothorax) or injuring another organ, such as the liver or spleen.

Go straight to yournearest accident and emergency (A&E) department for an assessment if your injury was the result of a serious accident, such as a vehicle collision.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018