Treatment fornon-allergic rhinitisoften depends onthe cause ofthe condition.
In some cases, such as when rhinitis is caused by a viral infection, treatment may not be necessary. This is because the infection responsible for the condition normally clears up within a week or two.
If something specific seems to betriggering your symptoms, you may be advised to avoid possible triggers. For example, it may help to avoid exposure to smoky or pollutedenvironments.
If your rhinitis is believed to be caused by a medication you're taking, such as Beta-blockers , your GP may be able to prescribe an alternative medication to see if it helps to reduce your symptoms. Don't stop taking any prescribed medication unless advised to by a doctor.
Some cases of non-allergic rhinitis are caused by overusing nasal decongestant sprays. In these cases, the best treatment is to stop using these sprays. However, this can be difficult, particularly if you've been using them for some time.
Try not using the spray in your least congested nostril first. After seven days this nostril should open up, at which point you should try to stop using the spray in your other nostril.
It may also help to rinse your nose using a salt water solution (see below)and take antihistamine tablets that cause drowsiness to reduce night-time congestion and help you sleep.
Some specialists try to gradually switch your spray from a decongestant (which is harmful in the long term) to a steroid spray (which generally can be used for longer periods).
In many cases of non-allergic rhinitis, rinsing your nasal passages with a salt water solution can be helpful. This is known as nasal irrigation or nasal douching.
Rinsing your nasal passages helps wash away any excess mucus or irritants inside your nose, which can reduce inflammation and relieve your symptoms.
Nasal irrigation can be done using either a home-made solution or a solution made with sachets of ingredients bought from a pharmacy. Small syringes or pots (which often look like small horns or teapots) are also available to help flush the solution around the inside of your nose.
To make the solution at home, mix a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda into a pint of boiled water that's been left to cool to around body temperature (don't attempt to rinse your nose while the water is still hot). To rinse your nose:
While you do this, some solution may pass into the throat through the back of the nose. Although the solution is harmless if swallowed, try to spit out as much of it as possible.
Nasal irrigation can be carried out several times a day and a fresh solution should be made each time.
Various types of nasal spray are available to help relieve the symptoms of non-allergic rhinitis. These include:
Many of these sprays can be bought over the counter in pharmacies without a prescription. Therefore, it's important to check the leaflet that comes with them before use, because they're not suitable for everyone. If you're at all uncertain whether you should be using one of these medications, check with your GP or pharmacist.
You should also make sure you check the manufacturer's instructions to see how to correctly use these sprays.
If you use a decongestant spray, make sure you don't use it for longer than five to seven days at a time. This is because overusing decongestants can make congestion worse.
Non-allergic rhinitis is inflammation of the inside of the nose that isn't caused by an allergy.
Non-allergic rhinitis occurs when the lining of the inside of the nose becomes swollen and inflamed, usually because of swollen blood vessels and fluid building up in the tissues of the nose.
You should see your GP if you have symptoms of non-allergic rhinitis and the condition is affecting your quality of life.
Treatment for non-allergic rhinitis often depends on what it causing the condition. If something specific seems to be triggering your symptoms, you may be advised to avoid possible triggers.
If you have non-allergic rhinitis, there is a risk you could develop further problems, including difficulty sleeping, drowsiness and middle ear infections.