When to see your GP

You should see your GP if you or your child have symptoms of quinsy.

Your GP will ask you about your symptoms and examine your throat and tonsils. These are the two small glands found at the back of your throat, behind your tongue.

If quinsy is suspected, you will be referred immediately to a hospitalear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist for further tests and treatment.

It's important that quinsy is diagnosed and treated quickly to prevent the infection from spreading and to avoid serious problems caused by severe swelling, such as breathing difficulties.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018