Diagnosing mastoiditis

Your GP will examine the inside of the ear with an otoscope (a device with a light and magnifying glass).

If your GP thinks you have mastoiditis as a complication of a middle ear infection, they'll refer you to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist for further examination and tests.

This usually includes a blood test and an ear culture (where discharge from the ear is tested for a bacterial infection).

Some children may need to have a CT scan , which uses X-rays and a computer to create detailed images of the inside of the skull.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018