What should I do?

If you have blurred or distorted vision, or there's a black spot in the centre of your vision, see your GP or optician as soon as possible. You'll probably be referred to an ophthalmologist (a specialist in eye conditions).

Ifyou do have a macular holeand you don't seek help, your central vision will probably get gradually worse. After a year, you'll beunable to read even the largest print on an eye test chart.

There's evidence that relatively early treatment (within months) gives a better outcome in terms of improvement in vision.

There's a very small chance the hole may close and heal byitself, so for this reason, your ophthalmologist may want to monitor its progression before recommending treatment.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018