When to see your GP

You should see your GP if you develop a growth or swelling on your body. Theycan examine it and confirm whether it's a lipoma.

Whena lipoma is pressed, it should feel smooth and soft, like rubber or dough. It may move about under the skin.

If there's any doubt, your GP may recommend that you have an Ultrasound scan ,a biopsy or that the lump is removed altogether.They may also refer you to a specialist centre if the lump isn't typical of a harmless lipoma.

You should also see your GP if you have alump that:

  • is getting bigger
  • is painful
  • feels hard
  • grows back after it's been removed

In this case, your doctor will want to rule out other types of lump, such as a sarcoma (a very rare type of soft tissue cancer). You can read more about different types of soft tissue sarcoma on the Cancer Research UK website.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018