Advice for parents

If your child has started limping, find out if they've injured their leg or foot orstood on something sharp. Inspect the soles of their feet and in between their toes for a wound or Blisters .

You may need totake your child to a minor injury unit . Go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department if your child has a severe injury or can't put any weight on their leg.

If there's no wound or sign of injury, your child may have an underlying medical condition that needs investigating by your GP.This will usually be done by arranging blood tests and an X-ray of your child's hip.

If your child also has a fever or seems unwell, take them to your GP as soon as possible. They'll need to be seen urgently by a specialist to rule out a bone infection ( osteomyelitis ).

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018