When to get medical help

Severe heat exhaustion or heatstroke requires hospital treatment.

You should call 999 for an ambulance if:

  • the person doesn't respond to the above treatment within 30 minutes
  • the person has severe symptoms, such as a loss of consciousness, confusionor seizures

Continue with the treatmentoutlined above until the ambulance arrives.

If the person is feeling better afterusing the above measures, but you have any concerns about them, contact your GP or NHS 111 for advice.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018