Diagnosing gallbladder cancer

Your GP will examine you and ask about your symptoms. If they suspect gallbladder cancer, they may refer you to a specialist, usually a gastroenterologist (a doctor who specialises in conditions of the digestive system).

Thespecialist will ask about your medical history and check to see whether the lymph glands in your neck and groin are swollen.

You may also have some initial tests, including:

  • blood tests
  • an ultrasound scan
  • a computerised tomography (CT) scan

If these tests reveal anything abnormal in or around your gallbladder, further tests may be arrangedto helpconfirm whether you have gallbladder cancer. These mayinclude:

  • an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
  • a magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP)
  • biopsy and fine needle aspiration (FNA)

The Cancer Research UK website has more information about tests for gallbladder cancer .

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018