What to do if you think yourchild has foetal alcohol syndrome

Speak to your GP or health visitor if you have any concerns about your child's development or think they could have foetal alcohol syndrome.

If the condition isn't diagnosed early on and a child doesn't receive appropriate support , they're more likely to experience challenges associated with the condition.

For example, they may get into trouble at school, have difficulties with learning, misuse drugs or alcohol , develop mental health problems, and find it difficult to get a job and live independently as an adult.

Your doctor or health visitor will need to know if your child was exposed to alcohol during pregnancy to make a diagnosis of foetal alcohol syndrome.

Your child may be referred to a specialist team for an assessment if there's a possibility they have the condition.

This usually involves a physical examination and blood tests to rule out genetic conditions that have similar symptoms to foetal alcohol syndrome.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018