When to seek medical advice

Consider seeing your GP if you have flat feet and your:

  • feet are painful, even when wearing supportive, well-fitting shoes
  • shoes wear out very quickly
  • feet appear to be getting flatter
  • feet are weak, numb or stiff

Your GP will examine your foot and may be able to advise you about treatments that can help. If necessary, they may be able to refer you to a podiatrist (a specialist in foot problems) or orthopaedic surgeon on the NHS to discuss possible treatments.

You can also contact a podiatrist or orthopaedic surgeon directly if you're considering private treatment. Find a podiatrist near you or find a doctor on the British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (BOFAS) website.

Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018