Support for patients

If you have been diagnosed with multiple system atrophy, your treatment and medical care will probably be the first thing on your mind. However, there are other aspects of your life to consider, and it's important to know exactly what kind of assistance is available and where you can get it.

If you are finding it hard to cope with day-to-day life,talk about your needs with your doctor or nurse, who will refer you to a social worker.Your social worker will assess exactly the kind of help you need:

  • Care attendants can help with housework, dressing and washing, or even just keep you company and give your carer a break. Look into this as soon as you can,asmany care attendants have waiting lists.
  • Carers Trust is an organisationthat helps carers in the UK byproviding access tobreaks, information and advice, education, training and employment opportunities. Visit the Carers Trust website at (links to external site) , or phone0844 800 4361.
  • Meals on wheels . Contact your local council aboutits meals on wheels service.It may be able to offer financial assistance to help pay for this. Go to GOV.UK for details of your eligibility.
  • Benefits You may be eligible for Income Support, Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Attendance Allowance. Get in touch with the Benefit Enquiry Line for more details on0800 882200 (textphone 0800 243355) or online at (links to external site) .
  • Home adaptations Occupational therapists provide a detailed assessment of your needs at home, making life easier by arranging equipment and making adaptations to your home. The aim isto create a comfortable and practical place to live during your treatment. This could mean anything from adding handrails around the house toinstalling a downstairs shower.
Content supplied by the NHS Website

Medically Reviewed by a doctor on 21 Dec 2018